Monday 7 June 2021

The Unintended Reformation - Conclusion

While it has taken me far longer than I had hoped to read this book, I am very glad that I have read this. For a number of years I have argued that Liberalism began in the Reformation and that is backed up by this book. It asked questions that I had not thought of and it has pointed me in directions that have opened my thinking. 

How could the Universities brush Christianity aside so easily, even though it took a long time? 

Why did rationalism seem like such a good answer, but it failed to provide the answers that it promised?

Why don't we live in a more Christian society, when that was the aim of the Protestant reformers?

I have reviewed each chapter in turn, for a book this detailed I think that it was the best way to do it. 

Here are the links:

Excluding God

Relativizing Doctrines

Controlling the Churches

Subjectivizing Morality

Manufacturing the Goods Life

Secularizing Knowledge

This is not a light read, it is an academic book written by an academic, but with that proviso I think that the book is excellent.


To Help Support My Work

https://www.subscribestar.com/upon-hope


Upon Hope Blog - A Traditionalist Future

Another Article You Might Like?

Refugees And- Asylum Seekers: The Conservative Approach

No comments:

Post a Comment