Tuesday 14 June 2016

The Australian Election - More Liberalism, Less Choice

On the 2nd July 2016 Australia has a Federal election, both Houses of Parliament (the Senate and the House of Representatives) are up for election. The election was called because the Government (the Liberal Party) wants to control the power of Trade Unions and the Opposition (the Australian Labor Party) doesn't. It is such a hot political topic that neither side has wanted to mention it at all, or to put it another more accurate way, it was an excuse.

Now I must confess I am very unhappy with this election between Tweedle dum & Tweedle Dee. Whoever wins the election will put someone who doesn't deserve to be Prime Minister into The Lodge (the Prime Ministers official residence). On the one hand we have a man who stabbed a Prime Minister in the back so that he himself could become Prime Minister. And on the other we have a man who stabbed two Prime Ministers in the back but got other people to do it for him. Lets face facts we aren't dealing with two moral giants here.

Whats interesting is how no one I meet seems to be very interested in the election, even though everyone seems to agree that we heading towards disaster. Maybe it has to do with the lack of choice between the major parties and lets be honest nearly all of the minor parties as well. Should I vote for more Immigration or should I vote for more Immigration? Should I vote for more Debt or should I vote fore more Debt? Should I vote for more Feminism or Should vote for more Feminism? Or would I like Homosexual marriage right away or would I like to wait? 

Wow, the choices are simply amazing aren't they! 

Now there are elections I am excited about, for example Brexit, I really really want Britain to vote to leave the EU, that would be a great win. I'm also excited about Mr. Trump being the Republican candidate in the U.S. Sure he isn't a Conservative he's a Classical Liberal, but he really was the best of the bunch. As I keep telling people here I don't know if he will be a good or a bad President but I would vote for him.

In Australia I don't want either Liberal or Labor to win, although one of them will. If the Liberal party wins then Australian politics will move to the left and at the next election the Liberals will lose in a landslide. If Labor wins then Australian politics moves to the left and at the next election Labor loses in a landslide. Although if Labor wins it will mean the end of Mr. Turnbull as leader of the Liberal party and a return to more Conservative territory. I also wonder how long Mr. Shorten would last as Labor Prime Minister before he was himself "knifed".

I have been wondering for quite some time whether I should vote. Australia is the only Western Democracy where it is compulsory to vote (it has been since 1926) and if I didn't vote I would receive a fine and if I tell other people not to vote I could go to jail. But I have decided to vote, not for either of those reasons but because there are other parties in the election apart from the Liberal and Labor parties, both good and bad. In most electorates in Australia the contest will be between the Liberal and Labor candidates, but in my electorate it will be between Labor and the Greens. 

That means that there is still something to fight over. The Liberal party drives to the speed limit, Labor drives faster than the speed limit, the Greens drive so fast they have a death wish. Like all parties of Liberalism they are all taking us to the same location, only the speed differs. Although speed is important it would be best if we changed the destination. As that is not possible at this time I will vote for the sometimes sane, instead of the always insane party. Although my vote will start with neither of them, it will start with the most Conservative party I can find, which in reality mean's Liberalism Lite, then the Liberals and then Labor, followed by the Greens and then the parties that make the Greens look sane. So under Australia's Preferential voting system I will end up voting for Labor.  

Sadly who ever wins I think we are in for a really dismal time.

Upon Hope Blog - A Traditional Conservative Future
Another Article You Might Like?

6 comments:

  1. Whats interesting is how no one I meet seems to be very interested in the election, even though everyone seems to agree that we heading towards disaster.

    I think it's clear that people have lost faith in democracy. Or at least they've lost faith in the current political system. But they can't cope psychologically with the ramifications of that. They've been so thoroughly indoctrinated into the idea that democracy is sacred and fabulous that when the democratic system is broken it sets up an unbearable cognitive dissonance - democracy is the greatest political system that exists and yet democratic politicians are all corrupt and are all liars and traitors.

    So people cling to the belief that somehow this election will be different. This time they'll elect a government that won't let them down. But as soon as they've elected the new government it betrays them.

    To be honest I'm not sure what the answer is. I think that giving the monarchy more power might help a little. And perhaps there's some tinkering we can do with the system to improve it slightly. Really the political system needs a radical overhaul but the problem is that the current system suits the current political establishment (which includes Labor, the Coalition and the Greens) very well. They will fight tooth and nail to prevent meaningful change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most realistic course of action would be linking the franchise to payment of taxes and/or marital status. Robert Heinlein wrote that suffrage should be linked to military service, but I find that in conflict with our thousand year tradition of resisting the standing army.

      The problem with multicult and democracy is not only ethnoreligious tensions, but also the link between trust and corruption.

      Unless the common liberal voter decides to stop supporting mass immigration, we are headed to authoritarian rule. If multikult is inevitable, I would look to support a Lee Kuan Yew, a Putin or a Xi Jinping.

      Delete
    2. The one major electoral reform I'd like to see is an increase in the minimum voting age. The big advantage of this is that no-one can accuse it of being an unfair measure. Everyone still gets to vote. They just have to wait until they're grown-ups. I'd personally like to see 30 as the minimum voting age, although 35 would be even better.

      I'm suspicious of any kind of property or tax qualification for voting. Rich people tend to be a lot more enthusiastic about multiculturalism and cultural marxism.

      Delete
    3. The problem with putting the age at 30 is that the military age is 18. The idea that one can be sent to kill for the state, but who's opinion is not considered thereof is a major legitimacy problem. It further adds to the increasing "adolescence", which is a liberal modernist concept. One is either a child or an adult.

      While the overeducated and transnational billionaires are big for CultMarx, historically that was not so. The main electoral base of the left has been those dependent on welfare statism.

      Delete
    4. The problem with putting the age at 30 is that the military age is 18. The idea that one can be sent to kill for the state, but who's opinion is not considered thereof is a major legitimacy problem.

      That's only a real problem when you have conscription.

      You'll have a much bigger legitimacy problem denying the vote to non-taxpayers who will therefore have no reason whatsoever to consider of government elected solely by the wealthy to be legitimate.

      There's also the problem that many taxpayers are in fact living off the state, in other words living off other taxpayers. Public servants, police officers, the military, firefighters, public school teachers - all live off the taxpayer.

      Delete
  2. My hope is for a hung parliament, which at least slows down the destructiveness of government. So I'm going to vote for a minor party but direct my preference to whichever party is trailing in the polls.

    ReplyDelete