Tuesday 14 March 2023

Happy Tenth Birthday Upon Hope!

I was planning to make this my last post on the blog and maybe it will be. I have found it increasingly hard to write, not because I can't find things to write about but because I find it harder and harder to justify to myself. It is not that I have changed my mind, but that this past decade has involved a lot of activity and not much, if any, forward motion.

I know why I write, I write to try and fight back against the world as it is. I write because I want to do something about it. I write to find answers and to find a way forward. But those who hate me don't even know I exist and I cannot point to anything concrete that I have created. All of the organizations that I belonged to, even lead, have proven to be disappointments. People are mostly passive and they fear losing the things that they have, which means that we all lose more. The lack of agency is why we are where we are and why things are getting worse and why they will continue to get worse. Which leads me to wonder why am I writing?

 What purpose does it serve?

I have come to feel that it serves no purpose at all. This will be my 952nd post and about 900 of those are articles and only 1 has ever generated any long term interest, Remigration. Which was written back in 2014 and while others have said and written positive things it hasn't gone anywhere. And after 8 years it has been read 327 times, which isn't a lot. But still more than most articles. 

This is not new, I have written about this before so this has been building for years. Until mid 2019 I felt that the blog was growing and that while very little was happening in real life that there was still hope. But after that I think I was shadowbanned as things slowed down a lot. Then Covid hit and I wrote my first article saying this was all overblown on the 14th March 2020, Viral Crisis which was pretty early. I wrote numerous articles and podcasts on the topic and I had exactly zero people contact me about doing something about it. Which really highlighted that I wasn't a part of a movement, instead I was alone and ineffectual. 

When I started I had a plan and the blog was a part of it, to recruit like minded people, to fight back and to work out why things were so bad and what to do about it. Well I think I have answered why things have gotten so bad and I think I have given a way forward. But what I have absolutely failed to do is to find like minded people who wanted to fight back. It doesn't matter how good your manual on agriculture is if no one wants to be a farmer, it's pointless. 

So I made it 10 years but I guess it really ain't that happy.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You definitely shouldn't stop! You never know, may be in Australia things don't look like they are going to change any time soon, but somewhere else, they will. You never know whom you could influence with your writing.

    BTW, we had lots of corona protests, even in our town several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many excellent essays that could form the basis of a book that can be self self published using Amazon for only a very token cost. You might be able to promote it and get some modest sales, but more impotently preserve 10 years of your thoughts and best efforts on an important political philosophy as an enduring legacy.
    By registering copies with both national and state libraries you afford future generation the opportunity to read about a traditionalists view at that time..

    ReplyDelete